San Francisco, CA
Overall Rank: 158
Category: Data Management & Analytics
Category Rank: 32
- Top Software Company of 2020
Founded in 2013 by the founders of Apache Spark, Databricks is an open-source distributed computing framework that provides clients with automated cluster management. They recently released a data lake analytics tool called Delta Engine, which they claim to be eight times faster than Apache Spark. The company also just acquired Redash, which works with data scientists and analysts to build unique dashboards around their data for optimum visualization. Mozilla, Soundcloud, and Atlassian are all current customers of Redash.
Databricks AI is currently being used by Virgin Hyperloop to speed up its data processes as it works on building the next generation of travel while navigating the infrastructure and policies that go along with it. Databricks raised $250 million in funding last February, and another $400 million in October 2019. The company has grown rapidly since its founding as a 2013 UC Berkeley lab project.
1. Unified Data Analytics Platform – One cloud platform for massive scale data engineering and collaborative data science
2. Data Science Workspace – Collaboration across the full data and machine learning lifecycle
3. Unified Data Service – High quality data with great performance
4. Enterprise Cloud Service – A simple, scalable, and secure managed service
5. Business Analytics – More complete and recent data to drive insights for every team