New York, NY
Overall Rank: 653
Category: Cloud Management
Category Rank: 36
- Top Software Company of 2020
Headquartered in New York with datacenters spread out across the globe, DigitalOcean provides cloud services to scale and deploy applications across many computers simultaneously. The third-largest hosting company in the world, they recently closed $50 million in a Series C funding round from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz and Access Industries, bringing their valuation up to $1.15 billion.
The company serves more than 500,000 customers worldwide, two-thirds of which are located outside the U.S. They cater specifically to small businesses and entrepreneurs who may find other market options to be too cost-prohibitive. This niche market brings in $300 million in recurring revenue.
As their infrastructure expanded, crossing borders and continents, DigitalOcean encountered scalability, reliability, and performance issues relating to their Layer 2 routing model. They have since switched to Layer 3, to ensure no data is dropped during rerouting. The transition will continue throughout most of 2020.
1. Spaces Object Storage – S3-compatible object storage with a built-in CDN that makes scaling easy, reliable, and affordable.
2. Droplets – Spin up your choice of virtual machine in just 55 seconds. Standard, General Purpose, CPU-Optimized, or Memory-Optimized configurations provide flexibility to build, test, and grow your app from startup to scale.
3. Kubernetes DigitalOcean – Managed Kubernetes designed for you and your small business. Start small at just $10 per month, and scale up and save with our free control plane and inexpensive bandwidth.
4. Managed Database – Leave the complexity of database administration to us. We’ll handle setting up, backing up, and updating — so you can focus on building great apps.
LEAVE A REPLY