San Francisco, CA
Overall Rank: 201
Category: HR Processes
Category Rank: 10
- Top Software Company of 2020
In the last nine years, Gusto has been a leader in human resource technologies for businesses large and small. The company provides cloud-based payroll services to over 100,000 clients across America, with software that tracks employee hours, manages benefits, and more all-inclusive HR management. Gusto is applauded for its software’s ease-of-use, making it the go-to for new business owners acting as their own HR department. Employees can even withdraw funds between pay periods with Gusto Cashout, bringing modern technology in to assist with the needs of today’s workers.
From the beginning of Gusto, which launched as ZenPayroll in 2012, CEO/Co-Founder Josh Reeves has kept the company focused on customer service. In addition to the platform’s usability, the company offers a free product called HR Basics which helps small businesses operate without the need for an entire human resources department. With over 500 employees between their San Francisco headquarters and offices in Denver and New York City, Gusto’s services are in high demand. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the company has been guiding its clients through the government’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), enabling over $1 billion in approved loans to small businesses and providing COVID-related features.
After nine rounds of fundraising, the company has amassed a valuation of $3.8 billion, counting Fidelity Management and Research Company, and Generation Investment Management as their newest investors. Previous investments have come from firms such as Google Capital and Kleiner Perkins, as well as tech titans like Max Levchin and Kevin Systrom.
1. Payroll – Payroll that’s easy to use and seriously smart.
2. Hiring and onboarding – Gusto’s hiring, onboarding, and engagement tools were built to help you save time while setting your team up for success from their very first day. Even if you’re remote.
3. Gusto Concierge Plan – Sign up for the Concierge plan and get personal support from certified HR experts on top of easy-to-use payroll and essential HR tools.
4. Gusto Cashout – Built right into payroll, Gusto Cashout™ helps your employees cover unexpected expenses between paydays.
5. Time tools – When you use Gusto, your team’s hours, time off, and holidays are automatically calculated into payroll. No extra steps. No stress.