Collaboration and Development
San Francisco, CA
Overall Rank: 19
Category: Collaboration and Development
Category Rank: 1
- Top Software Company of 2022
- Top Software Company of 2020
Slack’s business communications system uses Internet Relay Chat (IRC) applications for team members to stay in touch via chat rooms organized by topic, or private messaging. In late June, the company rolled out a new feature called Slack Connect, a business-to-business capability that allows companies to communicate more efficiently. This expands their offerings from being primarily an internal chat tool to establishing external services that can link companies while keeping all data and missives secure.
Slack’s major competitor is Microsoft Teams, and both companies saw a steep rise in use while more people started working from home to avoid exposure to COVID-19. Slack recently partnered with Amazon Work Space (AWS) in a multi-year agreement, in which AWS chose to adopt Slack for their business communications and will develop new services to enable the chat giant to increase its size and capabilities. Slack went public in April 2019, when its shares rocketed to a $21 billion valuation.
1. Channels – A channel is the place for everything related to a project, topic or team. Everyone in a channel sees the same messages and stays on the same page.
2. Slack Connect – Build stronger relationships and eliminate the back and forth of email by collaborating with other companies in Slack Connect.
3. Enterprise Grid – Mirror the way your company works with Slack Enterprise Grid. Unlimited workspaces give every group a place to organize their work, while centralized controls give administrators a single point of visibility for the whole organization.