Overall Rank: 9
Category Rank: 1
- Top Software Company of 2023
Applied Systems is the leading global provider of cloud-based software that powers the business of insurance. Recognized as a pioneer in insurance automation and the innovation leader, Applied is the world’s largest agency and brokerage management systems provider, serving customers throughout the United States, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, and the United Kingdom. By automating the insurance lifecycle, Applied’s people and products enable millions of people worldwide to safeguard and protect what matters most.
For 40 years, Applied Systems has led an industry we helped to create with a mission to continuously improve the business of insurance. Applied has had many successes and has continuously focused on proving our value in many ways. From partnerships, acquisitions, awards, and diversity initiatives, Applied has focused on efforts to be the indispensable partner in our industry.
Applied Epic is the world’s most widely used agency management platform. Applied Epic is an all-in-one solution that delivers core capabilities for each person within the business to manage prospecting, CRM, market access, quoting, accounting, reporting, and policy and Benefits admin with ease. It allows customers to manage and maintain a clear picture of their entire agency across all roles, locations and lines of business, including both P&C and benefits. Applied Epic software is browser-native, which allows teams to easily access data, minimize software management and more quickly realize the value of new capabilities.
Applied Pay™ is the industry’s only natively integrated payments solution. Applied Pay is the only end-to-end payment solution that fully integrates into Applied Epic®, Applied CSR24®, and EZLynx. A full-cycle accounts receivable application, Applied Pay automates the process of sending invoices to insureds and returning their online payment transaction data back to your agency management system for reconciliation. It collects and processes premium payments quickly, with less effort and better security, while providing clients a simple and intuitive online experience that supports their choice of payment types, including credit card, ACH, Apple Pay®, Pay by Text, and other payment methods. Applied Pay reduces liability for agencies by meeting PCI and NACHA compliance regulations by securing sensitive data. This state-of-the-art digital payment solution reduces internal workloads by automating portions of the accounts receivable process to drive a more profitable book of business.
Applied Mobile® is a mobile application for insurance agents. Applied Mobile is the first of its kind in the insurance industry that lets agency’s team access and manage customer, prospect and overall business information in their management system anytime, anywhere via a smartphone or tablet. The app lets team service customers on the go with the ability to view accounts, contact details and insurance policy information; add prospects; create and manage activities; and automate sales operations. All activities recorded within the app then sync back to the management system and provide constant access to the latest customer and prospect details. Applied Mobile offers the flexibility for agents to do their job anytime, anywhere while driving employee satisfaction, retention and cost savings.
Applied CSR24® is an online and mobile customer self-service technology. Applied CSR24 allows customers to obtain proof of insurance, access insurance documents, make premium payments, report First Notice of Loss, and track claims processing when and how they want. Giving customers the convenience of self-serve, in turn, frees up insurance professionals to focus on other revenue generating activities. The software syncs customer interactions with Applied Epic® management system to always have the latest customer details. The customer portal and mobile app can be customizable to match agency’s branding and stand out among the competition.
Applied Epic for Salesforce
Applied Epic for Salesforce™ is an insurance sales and marketing application. We combined the #1 agency management system with the #1 CRM platform and created Applied Epic for Salesforce, the insurance-built sales and marketing application that allows sales and servicing teams to work together efficiently in two separate, but completely synced, platforms. Applied Epic for Salesforce provides tight integration between Salesforce and Applied Epic® to seamlessly exchange data between systems to ensure the front-office and back-office staff are always on the same page. Insurance professionals can manage updates to both systems in Applied Epic for Salesforce, saving time and money. Applied Epic for Salesforce also connects Salesforce with Applied Benefits solutions, making it the only sales and marketing application in the industry that supports P&C and Benefits business.
EZLynx pioneered personal lines real-time comparative rating, enabling agents to generate quotes from multiple insurance carriers with a single data entry point. Today, over 20,000 agencies rely on EZLynx to provide more than eight million home, auto, and package rating transactions every month. EZLynx has also expanded beyond personal lines comparative rating by creating innovative software solutions that transform every facet of agency life, including agency management, client self-servicing, sales pipeline management, marketing and communications, accounting, eSignature, and more, all available on a unified, one platform solution.
Tarmika is a single-entry commercial lines quoting solution designed to streamline the quoting process. Designed for the independent agent, Tamika allows the ability to quote many lines of small commercial business with multiple carriers through the use of direct appointments – all in a single-entry point. The solutions support 8 products across BOP, Workers Comp, Commercial Auto, General Liability, Cyber Liability and more, with key carriers like Travelers, Nationwide and Liberty Mutual.
Indio™ is an application and submissions management platform. Indio is the industry’s leading application and submissions management platform that streamlines the application and renewal process by turning the data capture and submission process into a modern, digital experience. It uses “smart” form technology to auto-map data from one form to another, alleviating the need for agents and their clients to rekey the same information repeatedly. A progressive TurboTax® like experience can allow agents to hide application questions that don’t apply or mark specific questions required. It offers a collaborative experience with clients directly in the application, so agents no longer need to send one-off emails, calls and texts. When ready to submit, agents can send the application to insurers directly from the Indio platform rather than wasting time navigating separate individual systems.
According to reviews on G2, Applied Epic is ranked the #1 Insurance Management Systems. Users highlight that they appreciate the ease of use, the high quality of support when using the software, and ease of software set up for their business.
Customers appreciate that Applied Systems subject matter experts and Support professionals are available 24/7. Applied is the only company in the industry that provides around-the-clock support of operations via our seven Support centers across North America, the UK and Ireland.
97% of customers are satisfied with Applied Support Services and see the efficient onboarding process of the technology. We provide access to the education and training insurance staff needs to keep productivity high. Our Applied University has more than 3,000 instructor-led courses and training tracks to meet the specific needs of insurance professional’s business.
Customers have provided valuable insights about Applied technology, shining a spotlight on its positive impact on their businesses. They have shared success stories of how Applied has enabled digital transformation to make the day-to-day more efficient and extend the traditional storefront to online insurance experiences.
“One of the key benefits of Applied technology is the integrated experience between the client, producer and account managers. All of the data is accessible by everyone. Everything is all connected, seamless and in one place.” – Michael Mellars, VP of Operations, Pritchard & Jerden
“Applied Systems has been an integral part in making sure that we’re able to move forward and always be innovative and help our customers. By partnering with Applied, you will be able to move forward too and we’ll get through this together.” – Jessica Mulder, Operations Manager, Perspective Insurance
“We chose to operate in Applied Epic because we knew the environment was stable. Applied offers security, continual upgrades and maintenance, and relieves our IT department. Now we are much more agile when acquiring agencies and expanding our national footprint.” – Tiffany Johnston, Technology Channel & Innovation Manager, Fisher Brown Bottrell Insurance, Inc.
- Applied Systems was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in University Park, IL.
- It has a workforce of over 2,500+ employees and operates in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland.
- More than 160,000 people use Applied products.
- Their most recent acquisitions were Tarmika on August 16, 2022 (US) and Riskhandler on December 6, 2022 (UK).
Taylor Rhodes, Chief Executive Officer
Taylor Rhodes, Chief Executive Officer, leads Team Applied and is responsible for the company’s overall strategy and operational execution. Rhodes joined Applied in 2019 after serving as chief executive officer of SMS Assist, the leading cloud-based software platform for multi-site property management. Previously, he was CEO of Rackspace, where he led the Company’s growth from a cloud pioneer to an industry leader with more than two billion dollars in revenue, while establishing the company as a mainstay on the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®. Prior to Rackspace, he served as a leader in enterprise, financial and corporate strategy roles at Electronic Data Systems Corporation. Mr. Rhodes is a former United States Marine Corps infantry officer and holds a MBA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He serves on the board of directors for Applied, Zenoss and Liquid Web, LLC.
Tom Needs, Chief Executive Officer, Applied Systems Europe
Tom Needs, Chief Executive Officer of Applied Systems Europe is responsible for leading the company’s UK and Ireland strategy, operations and regional growth mission. Tom brings more than 20 years of leadership experience in the B2B technology sector serving multiple industries, including the European Insurance industry. Most recently, he served as Chief Operating Officer of Node4 Ltd., a leading private equity backed technology services company comprising private and public cloud services, connectivity, and collaboration solutions, where he was responsible for driving customer growth and retention and for scaling operations. His experience leading rapid organizational growth and transformation will provide great value to our employees, customers, and the broader insurance ecosystem as we continue to scale our operations and deliver world-class technologies and services.
Anupam Gupta, Chief Product Officer
Anupam Gupta, Chief Product Officer, is responsible for the company’s product vision and product management teams. Formerly CPO at 4C Insights, a sophisticated Data & Analytics SaaS provider to the AdTech/MarTech industries, which was acquired by Mediaocean, the mission-critical platform for omnichannel advertising with more than $200 billion in annualized media spend managed through its software, connecting the ecosystem of agencies, brands, media, technology, and data. As CPO of the combined companies, he spearheaded their product transformation to the cloud, adding new products fueled by data and intelligence infused in the core workflow. Previously, he’s led product organizations for several tech companies, including at Vubiquity, Mixpo, and Microsoft among others.
Trevor Bunker, Chief Customer Officer
Trevor Bunker, Chief Customer Officer, leads Applied’s customer experience organization, including the strategic direction for the company’s services, support, and customer success programs. Trevor joined Applied in 2020 with more than 20 years of customer service leadership experience. In his last role, he served as CCO at RealPage, a vertical SaaS company serving the real estate market, where he oversaw a team of 1,000 responsible for all post-sales customer experience functions. Prior, Trevor spent 13 years at CA Technologies where he rose to be Senior Vice President of Product Success, Customer Adoption and Software Subscription Renewals.
Rich Belanger, Chief Technology Officer
Rich Belanger, Chief Technology Officer, leads the Product Development, Product Management and Quality Assurance teams for Applied Systems. Previously, Rich led ProQuest, a global SaaS company with over 100 million users, through a complex migration to a modern cloud architecture and deployed world-class software development processes. As a result of his leadership, ProQuest achieved significant improvements in performance and reliability, as well as meaningful improvements in the speed and quality of new product development. Rich also held prior leadership roles at Target Software and Forrester Research.
At Applied Systems, we strive to create a positive workplace culture for those of different thinking, backgrounds, experiences, expertise and individual qualities across our organisation. We’re driven and focused on going the extra mile to bring more voices, more experiences and more ideas to every project team. In 2020, we redesigned our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion journey (DEI) to focus on the workplace, workforce, and marketplace. From creating a Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Council of volunteers who are passionate about DEI, to empowering a diverse work culture that celebrates diversity and builds meaningful relationships inside and out of our company.
Applied Celebrates Diversity
Through diversity programming and DIB (Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging) councils, Applied has built a foundation that supports and celebrates diversity within our company and communities
- Diversity Program: Applied has created a more inclusive culture with the launch of our diversity program across our organization in 2020. Since its inception, Applied’s COIs (or Employee Resource Groups), have offered employees more than 80 events and activities to participate in. Engagement is strong, with nearly 50 percent of employees being actively engaged and members of these COIs.
- Global Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIB) Council: Our Global DIB Council ensures that we continue to be laser focused on creating more programs, events, and activities. With 23 members on the council representing all the departments within Applied and our Communities of Interests, the council ensures company policies are reviewed, partnerships are formed with organizations that support our communities where we live and work, relationships are increased with minority vendors and development opportunities are provided for our employees.
- Communities: Applied sponsors COIs formed by employees with commonalities. With five COIs currently focused on women, LGBTQ+, seen and unseen disabilities, black and veteran associates and their allies, COIs are supportive, inclusive networks of employees who share knowledge, celebrate culture and backgrounds, and build meaningful relationships across our company.
Applied Attracts Diverse Talent
We are committed to sourcing diverse talent through select partnerships, inclusive practices, and engaged communities.
- Partnerships/Practices: Applied has formed a partnership with Inclusively, whose mission is to create the “front door” for all job seekers. This partnership provides us with the ability to resource talent while understanding any necessary accommodations they will need through the interview process. Additionally, our recruitment team utilizes job descriptions with defined KSAs (knowledge, skills, and abilities) for each role when selecting candidates to interview. Applied also works closely with its Communities of Interest (COIs) to promote career opportunities and to create a welcoming and inclusive interview and hiring process when joining team Applied.
Applied Grows Great Leaders
- We offer leaders multiple learning and development opportunities through various channels. We invest and believe in our people.
- LinkedIn Learning: an opportunity for employees to enhance their skills and succeed with expert-led online video tutorials (over 16,000 leadership learning experiences available).
- Self-Paced Leadership Training: A custom, self-paced training supporting Applied’s leadership competency module, “Our Values in Action.” These are a clear set of behaviors our leaders can align to as they develop.
- First Time & Middle Manager Development:
- Leading Others Fundamentals – a three-month leadership learning program that sets first-time managers up for success by equipping them with the appropriate knowledge, tools, and support system to succeed in their new role.
- Leading Others Essentials – a six-month leadership learning program that focuses on manager development. Over the six-month program, leaders will share and increase their knowledge on emotional intelligence, leading through change, coaching, and developing, and global business acumen by participating in self-paced learning, live sessions, and peer-to-peer mentoring.
- December 2022: Applied Systems acquires UK-based commercial lines and niche product distribution insurance solution, Riskhandler (Read)
- August 2022: Applied Systems acquires US-based leading commercial lines rating solution, Tarmika (Read)
- March 2021: Applied Systems acquires US-based comparative rating and agency management system solution, EZLynx (Read)
- February 2021: Applied Systems enters into new partnership with Google to enhance cloud technologies (Read)
- February 2020: Applied Systems launches its Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging program.
- October 2018: Applied Systems receives minority investment by CapitalG, the growth equity investment fund of Google parent company, Alphabet (Read)
Applied’s people and products enable millions of people around the world to safeguard and protect what matters most. As a company, we know the impact our decisions have on the world around us. That’s why we continually strive to be a responsible corporate citizen by being a zealous steward of our client’s data, a workplace where everyone feels welcome, valued, and empowered to succeed, and an environmentally responsible company.